Your vehicle suspension is designed to ensure you ride comfortably over paved roads and to minimize bouncing when driving on uneven roadways. It is made with either shocks or struts, one at each wheel, that absorb the excess shock. If your vehicle feels bouncier than usual, particularly on roads that were once easy to drive—you may be in need of a suspension repair. There are many things that can damage your suspension at one or more of your wheels. Low tire pressure, driving on worn or damaged tires, driving on the wrong kind of tire, damaged wheel alignment are the most common, or driving on extremely bumpy roadways. If your suspension feels off one of our ASE Certified technicians will perform an in-depth inspection to determine your repair need. All of our work is backed by a 36 months/36,000 miles nationwide warranty—so even if you move outside of the Arlington area your work is still covered!
How Can I Tell If I Have A Suspension Issue?
Your shocks or struts are responsible for maintaining balance and carriage control and supporting the weight of your car or truck. Your owner’s manual will suggest how frequently to have your suspension inspected, but it will often be checked with every 10K mile inspection—or any time you have your alignment repaired or a tire issue resolved. Most struts and shocks will last at least 50,000 miles, often much longer. However, you must keep your eye out for symptoms that you have a suspension issue. Signs that you are in need of a suspension repair include:
- If you bounce while driving on flat roads.
- If your car continues to bounce after driving over a bump.
- If you bottom out in unexpected places.
- If the body of your vehicle sways in high winds.
- If you have cupping on your tires.
- If your tires vibrate after driving over a pothole or small bump.
- If your steering is slipping or it suddenly takes more effort to steer.
- If your vehicle nosedives when you brake hard or fast.
- If your vehicles sits lower in one corner.
- If fluid is leaking by one of your wheels.
If you are experiencing one or more of the symptoms above stop by the Auto Stop Arlington as soon as you can. The longer you wait the more damage will be done, not to mention your increased safety risk. Walk-ins are welcome and since we will need your car for the day you can utilize our free shuttle, loaner vehicle, or afterhours drop-off and pick-up. We are a green auto shop who recycles all metal parts, used oil, tires, plastic, paper, and more!